Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Thing #6

Part 1
The The Fischbowl is a blog by Karl Fisch Director of Technology for Arapahoe High School in Centennial, Colorado. This blog explores "constructivism and 21st century learning skills, as well as integration of current web 2.0 technologies into classrooms.” His feed library includes James Blogging a math blogger. Another is Kristin's Blog an English teacher.

Part 2
I decided to follow "A blog for all" after I came an interesting article on titled Unintended Consequences Of Fast Food Calorie Counts. Here is a screen capture of my success!








Part 3
I subscribed to Texasteacher12 and What I'm learning about 23 things .

Part 4
For a "Fun" Feed to my reader I added Dictionary.com's Spanish Word of the Day - and here is the screen capture of the same.










Learning Activity
My introduction to web 2.0 tools and specifically blogging has been a fast, whirlwind experience. I am also excited to learn just how much more there is "out there" that is applicable in my profession beyond just the ubiquitous email. Hitherto I never thought there enough hours in day to blog, then catchup on facebook and myspace, twitter a tweet and all else that I still had on my plate not to mention read and reply to my emails. My participation in this course has been so instrumental to my hitherto impervious attitude to web 2.0 tools beyond what I considered my turf - email. I acquiesce boldly that these tools are too important and inevitable to my success and that of my students.

In fact as an example of my implementation of a reader interesting information seems to be finding it's way to me. An article in my reader is titled Unintended Consequences Of Fast Food Calorie Counts caught my attention. First and foremost weight management is at the forefront of our daily news. There are constant reminders of just how much this issue permeates our daily lives today including an inspiring TV reality show "The Biggest Loser". I can recall when the city of New York enacted a mandatory requirement that fast food restaurants provide calorie counts on food items sold at local restaurants back in July 2008. For sometime I have wanted to catch up on the updates, specifically what has been the effect of this requirement, if any. Therefore, I found the information contained in this article to be quite an eye opener of sorts. For starters, a study found instead of reducing caloric intake that went up to 846 from 823 before this measure. That point alone would make one wonder okay... what then now. There's an obvious failure on the part of this enactment. One would think that when it comes down to the consumer, the one who is intended to be protected by this measure, is there a failure for appreciation for an individuals personal responsibility for one's health? The next phase on this will be interesting.

2 comments:

  1. I'll be curious to find out if your Spanish vocab increases after subscribing to the "word of the day". Sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you added screen shots to your blog as it makes it more appealing to read and look at, just like a photograph or another image.

    I am impressed by your blogging vocabulary which reminds me that I need to brush up on mine-one thing at a time =).

    ReplyDelete